Write out the basic rules. These will undoubtedly change as you continue to develop your game, but a basic set of rules will allow you to begin testing quickly. When writing your rules, keep the following in mind:
- How the game starts, the position and number of pieces
- Taking a turn – What happens when players take their turn? Is a dice or spinner used? Are the cards collected?
- Player interaction. How will players influence each other? For example, players on the same square might “duel” by rolling for the highest number.
- What is not allowed. There may be a limit to the number of squares can be moved in one turn.
- Winning. It is really clear to describe the ways in which a player wins. There can be no doubt in this.